Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vaccinations

It is time to start thinking about the vaccinations that I will need before traveling to Liberia. MD Travel Health recommends:

All travelers should visit either their personal physician or a travel health clinic 4-8 weeks before departure.

Malaria medications

Vaccinations:
Hepatitis A - Recommended for all travelers

Typhoid - Recommended for all travelers

Yellow fever - Required for all travelers greater than one year of age

Polio - One-time booster recommended for any adult traveler who completed the childhood series but never had polio vaccine as an adult

Hepatitis B - Recommended for all travelers

Rabies - For travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, or at high risk for animal bites, or involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats

Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) - Two doses recommended for all travelers born after 1956, if not previously given

Tetanus-diphtheria - Revaccination recommended every 10 years

1 comment:

  1. I am excited about going with Kelly as a teacher on this trip. Now, I've never met Kelly, but still, it will be teachers helping teachers and others. Can't wait. Need to be organized to get things done, though. Keep me updated. If I wanted to stay a little longer for site-seeing (or do I even need to do that) what would you recommend. My chances of getting to Africa again will be slight, I'm sure.
    Thanks
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete