Thursday, July 12, 2012

Things have started to pick up with my story collecting as things are winding down after the two weeks of funeral activities.  I have several people from various areas in Liberia who are willing to sit and tell me stories.  I collected my first last night from a physician's assistant named Dennis.  It was a story about how people first came to worship idols.  He will be back tonight and I am sure will have more stories for me.  Another man from the northern border of Liberia will be here later this week to share his stories with me.  I am excited to hear how they differ from the stories in the southern area where my step-father and his friends are from.
I have also spent the last week learning a lot about Liberian culture. Today I had my hair plaited and learned to do laundry.  Laundry here takes all morning and is a grueling event.  I washed half the amount that Patient washed in the same time and hers was far drier before hanging out on the line!  You start with a tub the size of a baby pool and rub each item with bar laundry soap.  You then scrub one side of each item against the others.  A quick rinse in the wash water and then they are placed in the rinse bucket.  Clean water is poured over the top and they are wrung out before hanging on the line.  I have taken many pictures but I am unable to upload them due to very slow internet connection.  I am continuing to work on posting even a few. 

2 comments:

  1. sounds exciting...so many new adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    I am looking to use one of your photos in an upcoming PBS documentary about Liberia. I would really appreciate it if you could get back to me as soon as possible so we can discuss rights and attaining the image in high resolution. If you could email me at dsquires@rainmedia.net that would be great!

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete